THE POWER OF DIFFERENCE MODEL (PDM)
What is the PDM?
The PDM identifies 3 primary patterns of behavior, thought, and feeling related to our differences of race, sexual orientation, gender, socio-economic class, religion, disability, and ethnicity.
These patterns are:
These patterns operate unconsciously within us, between us, in our communities, organizations, and society.
Our primary patterns come from early childhood learning about what will keep us safe.
If we aren’t aware of them, they can cause internal conflict and conflict with others who hold different patterns.
Learn More About These Patterns
3 Patterns, 3 Powers
Scarecrow = Sensitivity (mind)
Tin Man = Oneness (heart)
Lion = Strength (courage)
Sensitivity/Scarecrow: I value intelligence, open-mindedness, understanding, and difference. I don’t want to offend so I can get stuck or confused around differences. I can be patronizing as I try to “get others to get it”.
Politics: Tend Liberal
Learning Edge: Strength
Oneness/Tin Man: I value compassion and connection. I devalue difference and can over-value sameness. I can fail to impact others as I intend and I tend to avoid conflict. “Why can’t we just get along.”
Learning Edge: Sensitivity
Strength/Lion: I value loyalty, bravery, protection, self-sacrifice, and winning. I evaluate differences, seek dominance, and can create an “enemy.”
Politics: Tend Conservative
Learning Edge: Oneness
Leveraging the assets of all three powers/patterns…
(leveraging, or integrating, is less of a perspective by itself and more something we do or don’t do)
- We integrate and leverage assets from ALL of the perspectives as we feel called.
- We impact others (generally) in alignment with our intentions across difference.
- We call others to increased internal integration without blame and shame.
- We live from solidarity across our differences… refusing silence and violence.
- We experience greater effectiveness across difference, mission clarity, empowerment, and fulfillment.
- We experience less rising and falling on external conditions–greater internal stability/immovable sense of peace.